Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Thursday July 11th - Time to change boats

Today we woke up in the Bight after having a fun night.
On our way out of the Bight
 We got up, had some breakfast and decided it was time to head back in.  Wind was decent, but we decided to motor to allow everyone time to relax and just get their stuff together as 6 of our 9 we're leaving today.

One member of our next group (Stuart) was already on the boat we'd be switching to - Changes in Latitude, a Moorings 4800.
Changes in Latitude, our home for part 2
 He  was joining us this trip as he was interested in buying one and had never been on a cat before, just his 43' Beneteau and other mono's.  We had sent texts back and forth so he could watch us come in.  Around 9:30 or so we arrived by the cruise ship pier.  We radio'd in to Moorings and they told us starboard side for the lines and north side of A dock.  When we got over there, they said to hold on as they needed to move a boat that was in our slip.  I was a bit surprised no one came out to us as this has been the norm with James coming out to see if we need assitance or if we want to take it in ourselves.  I always opt for the later and probably would have in this case too given the choice.  But I didn't get a choice this time :)

Once the boat was moved, I slowly made our way into the slip and docked successfully.  It still amazes me at how much the wind affects the boat, even when its light which it was.  It was still moving us right into the dock.  Our friend Stuart was able to get some nice shots of us coming in and docking.



Once docked, we helped our friends unload their bags and started getting all our stuff ready to be moved between boats.  We headed over to check out our new home for the next 10 days and I was met by our briefer.  I think we confused them a bit by having the boats overlap a few days, but we pretty quickly went through the 48 as I'm very familiar with the 46 and this isn't that different.  Once all set on the 48, I went back to do the debrief on the 58.  Got that taken care of and we were finally set.  Just had to say goodbye to our friends leaving and we then had lunch at the pool before finally departing.  Thankfully my wife and our friend Dan (My Co-Captain on the 58) handled the moving of most of our gear!

By now it was sometime between 2 and 3pm and my parents we're arriving between 6 and 7 and we were going to meet them at the airport.  So we cast off and headed out.  We decided we'd motor to just get over there and get settled and await my parents arrival.  As we were just about to turn north to come around beef island, I got a call from my Dad.  Their flight out of Miami was delayed so they weren't going to make their Seaborne flight from San Juan.  So they'd be spending the night in San Juan and would try to get over as early as they could.

Given the news, I asked our crew if they wanted to do some sailing and they did!  So we raised the sails and headed south towards round rock/ginger and did a few tacks before finally heading in towards marina cay. We figured we'd spend the night here and move over to Trellis in the morning.  The boat sailed great, although I have to admit I missed the 2nd deck of the 58 a little - I figured I'd need a day to get over it :)

Once settled in, we hung out and went for a swim.  Then we cleaned up and headed in to Pussers for dinner.  I don't recall what we ate, but what we drank was great!  All 3 of us ordered Pain Killers and then Stuart and I got a second.  When she came back with the second, she had a confused look on her face.  She then said "I think I might have forgot the rum, taste it and let me know".  Yep, she forgot.  So she told us to drink some to make room and she'd be back with rum.  And boy did she come back with RUM!!  A pretty good size glass filled completely with rum.  This turned our painkillers into a #3 or #4 and we even had enough to give Stephanie (my wife) some too!  After dinner, we headed back to the boat to call it a night.  None of us needed any more pain killers, that's for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment